Sunday 4 December 2011

Story Telling Sunday: A New Word for Christmas!

I had a eureka moment the other day.  I heard a song that reminded me of something and I thought, at last, I have an apt story for Sian's Story Telling Sunday!

This is part of the song I heard:
When Santa got stuck up the chimney
he began to shout
"You girls and boy won't get any toys
until you let me out"
And here's my story:

When Maddie was in nursery she was taught lots of different songs. One Christmas she came home singing a new song she'd learnt, all about Santa getting stuck up a chimney.  She sang it for me but she used a word I'd never heard before, a word that she had created, and I think it's a perfect word for Christmas.  Here is Maddie's version of the song:
When Santa got stuck up the chimney
he began to shout
"You girls and boys won't get any toys
untince you let me out"

How fantastic and very festive is her made up word?!? I could do nothing to convince her that the word she was meant to say was 'until' and, even now at the age of seventeen, she tells me that it is a word that exists!

Yes Maddie, it is a word that exists, a very special word in OUR Christmas vocabulary and I love it.

I hope you like my tale, I hope that your December has got off to a good start and I hope you'll pop over to Sian's and see the other stories and even tell one of your own.

Thanks for stopping by
Jo xx

19 comments:

Jane said...

what a lovely story and a clever word too

Sian said...

Jo, it's lovely to see you here today! Thank you so much for joining us and telling such a cute Christmas story. It really brings home how much of CHristmas we make our own with our own traditions and imaginings and made up words. Merry Christmas to you and yours Jo!

Lou said...

Aww how sweet and a lovely story to remember!

Becky said...

A lovely story and I great that it has become a word in your family vocabulary! Merry Christmas.

Alison said...

Oh! that song brings back many Playgroup memories...thanks for sharing it Jo!
Alison xx

My not so simple life said...

oh how sweet! Cameron sings that song, Caitlin just mumbles it until she gets to the shouting bit. lol

Irene said...

It's such fun when little one's words get mixed up and a new word develops. And that your daughter still uses it.Definitely one for her to always remember.
Have a lovely Christmas.

Sandra said...

Aaawwwwww bless, how lovely to have your own special Christmas word

furrypig said...

I love how we can all get words of songs mixed up my hbby and I still argue over the lyrics of a haircut 100 song (that shows my age!) Untince is just so cute! Happy Christmas xxx

Amy said...

Merry Christmas Jo - this is a lovely story!

Sandra said...

Such a sweet story Jo.:)

Hope you're feeling better.

Lynn said...

I loved singing that song with my children when they were little. I agree it definately is a word! Merry Christmas Jo.

Ali said...

Cool story and a great word. I just remember the fully body actions my kids seemed to do for Achoo Achoo Achoo! Hope you are feeling better.

Cheri said...

I've never heard that song, but I do remember when mine were little and sometimes the made up words seemed so much more appropriate than the actual ones! Cute story.

Susanne said...

Out of the mouths of babes comes such wit and wisdom. I enjoyed your story and wish you a very Merry Christmas.

Miriam said...

I loved your story, it reminded me of playgroup oh so many years ago. I love how ideas pop into our minds too. Merry Christmas.

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Great story Jo! Nice to see you taking part :o) Hope you are feeling better soon. Fi xx

Ginger said...

A lovely story Jo :)

yvette said...

Hi Jo, what a lovely story that is, kids are so sweet when they come up with these things. Hope you are ok and you all have a lovely Christmas. xx