Sunday 4 August 2013

Bits and Bobs

I can't believe another month has passed and it's time for Story Telling Sunday over at From High in the Sky. Every month Sian encourages us to tell a story about something precious to us.

Although my precious items are very old they are new to me, I inherited them only yesterday!  The two items I'm sharing today hold wonderful memories for me and take me right back to my childhood.

 My mum and aunt have the unfortunate task of emptying my grandparents' home after the recent death of my grandad and my mum had asked if there was anything I wanted, of course there were things I wanted, things I knew nobody else would want.

When I was younger and we went to visit my grandparents we would always go in to the house using the side door.  No matter whether we were going to visit my dad's parents or my mum's parents we would always use the side door, never the front door, and although both properties were very different and miles apart the side doors always went to the same place, the kitchen.

As you entered my mum's parent's house the first thing you would see was this:
The beetroot jar.  It sat just inside the kitchen door and I have always loved it.  I don't ever remember it having any beetroot in it though.  I knew it was something I would love to have in my home.

The second thing I would see as I moved further in to the kitchen was on the windowsill just above the sink:
My mum and her sister bought this for my nan for Mother's Day many years ago.  It reminds me so much of my nan.  My mum couldn't understand why I wanted it as there is a big crack in it, I wanted it because it made me think of my nan and if she had this cracked old moneybox on display until the day she died then it was obviously something very precious to her.

So now I have these two lovely treasures full of memories in my home, do I care that the don't fit in with the other bits and pieces I have? Of course not because I want them to stand out like the precious things they are.

I hope that you will head over to Sian's now to tell your story and read the other stories being told there.

Thanks for stopping by
Jo xx

22 comments:

Missus Wookie said...

Oh how lovely that you were able to have the two bits you wanted to remember your grandparents by!

Irene said...

How wonderful that these items mean so much to you. It's always the memories we hold dear and yours about your
Nan are precious ones.

Eleanor said...

What a lovely story, beautifully told. My mum had a pickled onion jar like your beetroot one - my sister and I are in the process of clearing her house now she's in a nursing home, thank you for giving me the perfect idea!
x

Ladkyis said...

Just beautiful!

dogmatix said...

Great story. It's great to have something that reminds you so specifically of someone :-)

Anonymous said...

Things that only you can see the value in are the most precious of all.

My not so simple life said...

So sweet, I love that Pin moneybox. So weird aswell, first thing I see when I go into my Mums kitchen is that large cup and saucer you have in the 3rd photo :)

Sian said...

"I want them to stand out"..you brought a lump to my throat (in a good way!) with these words..they really moved me and I love them. Comepletly precious. You have reminded me of my Grandma : when I went on that school trip to London I brought her back a little Cutty Sark calendar and she kept it on display til the day she died too.

Thanks Jo

heatherblossom said...

your post moved me to tears.x

Lou said...

It's the little things that we remember the most...a moving story Jo x

Jane said...

special items to bring back happy memories.

Susanne said...

What fun remembrances those items are. And that beetroot jar is just the loveliest color.

Melissa said...

What lovely treasures to have as memories of you grandparents! Enjoyed reading your precious story today!

Cheri said...

fun, interesting, definitely adds a pop to the decor... and the fact that they hold so many memories makes them truly precious!

Sinead said...

This is such a lovely story and I love how these precious items can bring back such lovely memories of your grandparents. Thank you for sharing! :D

Barbara Eads said...

Your "precious" this month is perfect! In fact, just recently, I used the term "pin money" and my girls wanted to know what that meant. I didn't really know where the term came from, but thought it was from the England. The fact that you have an actual item that says "pin money" tells me I'm right! Thanks for that!

Karen said...

What a great story! I totally understand why you'd want to display these precious items front and center. Like so many of the precious things described in these posts, the memories they evoke are even more important than the objects themselves!

Sabrina DS said...

Hi Jo,
It's great that these 2 precious objects are now in your home for another life. Your story was really nicely written. Thank you very much for your comment on my blog. xoxo from Bordeaux

Unknown said...

They are lovely precious mementos of very much loved Grandparents. Thanks for sharing them.

Sandra said...

Oh Jo what beautiful memories and so so precious xxx

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

It's little things like these that are such precious reminders of lost loved ones. A touching story xx

Lisa-Jane said...

I love the beetroot jar! Something about that little top curling over. Although it is sad to lose someone, it is lovely to get something that means so much to you and clearly meant a lot to them too.