Sunday 1 April 2012

Story Telling Sunday: Spring is a Laughing Matter!

It's the first Sunday of the month so that can mean only one thing................it's time to head to Sian's for Storytelling Sunday!

At this time of year I think of my dad lots, everywhere I look in the spring there is something that makes me think of him......and laugh!

I can remember many years ago he came home from work with a joke to tell us, the only trouble was he was laughing so much that he had trouble telling us the joke!  I thought I would share the joke with you today:

A man goes to a pet shop and buys a hamster, takes it home and lets it settle in.  The next day he wakes up and the hamster is dead! He returns to the pet shop and tells the manager what has happened.  The pet shop manager says "go home and boil the hamster in sugar and water because it will make a lovely jam". The man does this and then tastes the jam, it is so awful that he throws it out of the window.  The next morning the man looks out of the window and there are daffodils growing everywhere he threw the jam.  He returns to the pet shop and says to the manager "I made the jam and it tasted awful so I threw it in the garden, this morning there are daffodils growing in the garden everywhere I threw the jam!" The pet shop manager says "Don't be so silly, Sir, everyone knows........................
It's tulips from hamster jam!"  Boom boom!

Now it's not necessarily the joke that makes me laugh and I know it's a joke for people over a certain age because Maddie didn't get it.  It's remembering my dad doubled up with tears in his eyes barely able to talk as he tried to tell it, that is why I laugh when I see the daffodils and tulips growing in the spring :)

Now it's time for you to go and tell your story, visit Sian's blog and enjoy reading the other stories there.

I hope you've had a lovely weekend and are enjoying the sunshine
Jo xx

17 comments:

Abi said...

I chuckled over this. What a lovely memory

Becky said...

This did make me laugh and what a wonderful way to remember your Dad :)

Missus Wookie said...

What a lovely story and a cringingly awful pun - so bad it's good :)

Sian said...

I love this - becasue I think it is just the kind of joke my dad would have loved too! It has taken me back too, to nights by the fire years ago and everone doubled up with laughter. Thanks Jo. I really mean that :)

Sandra said...

Lol that made me laugh - I must be 'of a certain' !!

Lou said...

You made me laugh out loud. I've not heard this one so I'll be saving it for when i see my dad xx

Jane said...

Dad's, they're all the same, but they do make you chuckle!

Miss Smith said...

I LOVE this joke!!! Any joke that requires a huge set-up for a great pun is awesome in my book :D

Ruth said...

Old jokes are always the best ~ I laughed out loud!

Anonymous said...

fab joke - and really great that you remember your dad in this way!!!

Scattychick said...

Heehee just the silly kind of joke my dad would tell too :)

Alison said...

I laughed too! Glad it brings back such lovely memories of your dad!
Alison xx

Lisa-Jane said...

Oh good grief, that is rotten! But its wonderful that it still makes you smile.

Ali said...

fantastic story. I've heard that before but forgotten it, so didn't get the punch line until I'd read it. Thanks Jo for the smile.

Lorna said...

What a lovely story . You should scrapbook this memory for future generations

Sandra said...

Oh Jo, how wonderful. It did make me chuckle, and Lornas right, you really need to scrap this blog post. I love it that these images bring such happy memories, what a fabulous way to remember him x

furrypig said...

oldies are definitely goodies! Thanks for making me laugh!